I was at Her Royal Majesty’s Steampunk Symposium this past weekend and fell behind with this week’s Scarlet Order blog post. What’s more, I dropped my Kindle yesterday, damaging the screen, which put me all out of sorts. Fortunately, Susan over at Dab of Darkness tagged me in a round of questions, so this is your chance to learn a little more about the man behind the vampires, zombies, and other scary things that get discussed at this blog. What’s more, the graphic fits last weekend’s whole steampunk-vibe!
Four Names That People Call Me (Besides My Real Name)
- Dave – Yeah, I know it’s short for “David” but it never quite feels like my real name.
- Captain – My spontaneous college nickname.
- Angus – The character I played in Brigadoon, which also became my SCA name.
- Dad – The name I wear with the most pride.
Four Jobs That I Have Had
- Car Detailer for Toyota
- Ice Cream Shop Soda-Jerk
- Physics Tutor
- Web Developer
Four Movies I Have Watched More Than Once
- Plan 9 From Outer Space
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Seven Samurai
Four Books I’d Recommend
- The Shining by Stephen King
- The Vampire Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas
- The Naval Institute Press edition of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
Four Places I Have Lived
- San Bernardino, California – The place I grew up.
- Nantucket, Massachusetts – There once was a man from…
- Tucson, Arizona – I love the beauty of the Sonoran desert. The heat, not so much.
- Moriarty, New Mexico – I once heard Arthur Conan Doyle picked the name for Sherlock Holmes’s nemesis by seeing this town on a map.
Four Place I Have Been
- La Serena, Chile – Just after a few days observing the Large Magellenic Cloud from Cerro Tololo Interamerican Observatory.
- New Orleans, Louisiana – In the full sultry, summer heat to deliver my daughter to college.
- Times Square in New York – As part of a wedding party.
- Dinosaur National Monument – An amazing window into Earth’s past.
Four Places I’d Rather Be Right Now
- On the planet Sufiro after the war between New Granada and Tejo.
- Aboard the solar sail Aristarchus en route to Saturn.
- Back aboard the Queen Mary for Her Royal Majesty’s Steampunk Symposium. The weekend was over far too fast!
- At home with my family. I enjoy my work at the observatory, but I miss them when I’m here.
Four Things I Don’t Eat
- Olives – never acquired a taste, though I do like to cook with olive oil.
- Pickled cucumbers – I would just say “pickles” but strangely enough I do like other vegetables pickled, including pickled beets.
- Fugu – I prefer my sushi when it’s very fresh and not going to kill me if the chef made a slight mistake in preparation.
- Veal – I have no problem eating meat, but I want it to have grown up first.
Four of My Favorite Foods
- Chicken and sausage gumbo
- Chicken mole enchiladas – In this case, mole is Mexican chocolate, chile sauce
- Posole – A stew of pork, hominy, and red chile
- Crawfish etouffe – When they were open, Cajun Kitchen in Albuquerque used to serve this over catfish. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Four TV Shows That I Have Watched
- Star Trek
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Doctor Who
Four Things I Am Looking Forward to This year (The Next Twelve Months)
- Twenty-fifth Wedding Anniversary
- Several different conventions, including Wild Wild West Con, Bubonicon, and TusCon
- Finishing The Brazen Shark
- The release of The Astronomer’s Crypt
Four Things I Am Always Saying
- “Basically…” – This seems to be an astronomer thing or maybe a scientist thing. Anyway, it’s the need to sum things up.
- “Craptastic” – Great for spectacular failures.
- “Awesome” – As an acknowledgement and an affirmation, particularly when everyone benefits.
- “No problem” – If it sounds interesting, necessary, or kind of fun, it usually is.
Four People I Tag
I’m going to be a bit of a rebel and not tag anyone. Sometimes I find the person I’ve tagged has already played. Sometimes life is in the way and the last thing someone wants is to be tagged in a silly blog post. That said, if this looks like fun, drop a note with your blog address in the comments and I’ll tag you here!